Mount Vernon At Home services are available to our members with one convenient call to our office to arrange for staff/volunteer assistance, request preferred provider recommendations or to sign up for a wide variety of activities. We are here to help!
Through a network of neighborhood volunteers, Mount Vernon At Home offers members assistance with:
- transportation to local medical appointments, hair appointments, grocery store, pharmacy, library
- shopping and errands
- simple household repairs and handyman jobs
- household chores (change light bulbs, hang pictures)
- computer and home technology (TV, DVD, telephone) support
- help with medical visits or hospital stays with trained volunteer advocates
- support during emergencies (hospitalization, family, bereavement)
- assistance with paperwork (medical forms, bill paying)
- companionship visits
- Rise and Shine telephone check in (if requested)
- de-cluttering (organizing and sorting)
Members are encouraged to contact us for specific requests or needs that may not be listed here but may be accommodated. All volunteers have successfully completed background checks per insurance requirements.
Our members enjoy opportunities to participate in educational, cultural and social activities organized by our Program Committee:
- lectures on current events and wellness issues
- fall prevention exercise classes
- group visits to museums and theaters
- restaurant outings and potluck dinners
- overnight and day trips to nearby sites of special interest
If a job is beyond the scope of a volunteer's help, Mount Vernon At Home will refer members to vetted local service providers that have been pre-screened for reliability and expertise. If you need a plumber, electrician or roofer but are unsure of who to call, our referrals to preferred service providers take much of the uncertainty out of dealing with home repairs. If you are looking for quality home health care, we have health care preferred providers with whom we've negotiated discount rates. We follow up with each member referral to a preferred provider to check the quality of work performed and satisfaction.
Referrals may include:
- specialized contractors to install safety features in homes
- home improvements/repairs
- home health care providers
- electricians, plumbers, locksmiths, roofers, etc.
Download a Membership Form
"We really enjoy being part of such a great neighbor-helping-neighbor organization! We are both volunteers, a well as members, and enjoy the many 'perks' of membership. We truly appreciate the help we have had with computer problems from Mount Vernon At Home's capable volunteers."
~ Members Jean and Al